Friday, March 8, 2013

Blue Jade Corn

(Zea mays)

I love looking at pictures of this corn. I mean, blue corn! How awesome is that? Now, we tried to grow Stowell's Evergreen corn a few years ago, but all we got was one small ear. The reason for our failure is that I didn't know anything about corn and planted one row of 10 plants. I didn't want to face failure last year so we didn't plant it. But I like sweet corn and I'd like to see an ear of blue corn on my plate and think that it grew in our garden. So I purchased a packet of seeds from Seed Savers this year and intend to plant it whenever the ground dries.



Image credit: tacobel_canon

One of the neat things about this heirloom is that it's one of the few sweet corn varieties that does well in containers. City folk with a balcony or fire escape can plop this outside their window and have enough corn for a barbeque. The plants remain a manageable size with the stalks growing to only three feet and according to the seed packet, each stalk will bear three to six ears. That seems optimistic to me, but until the seeds are in the ground, I'll remain optimistic. Judging from posts on various forums, pollination may be tricky, so we'll be planting in a block of about 75 plants, both Blue Jade and Golden Bantam. I'll also try to hand-pollinate the ears, just to help the chances of unwrapping blue ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment